Thursday, September 20, 2012

Culture Shock: Welcome to the South

I had the great pleasure of traveling to the Students for Life of America Headquarters in Manassas, Virginia yesterday.

I am not new to the American South. My father grew up in South Carolina and my parents lived in Mississippi for a few years when they were first married, as my father was stationed there in the Navy. I have family in North and South Carolina, West Virginia, and Florida. I have traveled to much of the south, studying its local historical landmarks and entertainment traditions. I have always felt a bit more at home in the South than here in the North.

This election season, though, it seems like political and cultural differences are sticking out more than ever.

On the way down and back yesterday, I saw a number of cars with pro-life bumper stickers, license plates, etc. This was both encouraging and alien to me.

I live in New Jersey, a mostly liberal state with opinionated people who think you need to keep your own opinions to yourself. At least, that is what I experience most of the time. I have seen a few pro-life bumper stickers and yard signs in New Jersey, mostly in one particular town that has a pro-life pregnancy center and a very large church that is active in the pro-life community. My own car has a 180 movie sticker and license plate frame (custom made by a friend.) I also have an Abolish Human Abortion decal I've been meaning to put on "Maudette," my little purple car. But to see many cars with pro-life stickers as you go down the highway? Well, that just doesn't happen in New Jersey. Not yet, anyway!

While I was at the SFLA HQ, my father, who came with me for the drive, was down the street at a pub getting to know the locals. He was surprised to hear people sitting down eating, openly discussing pro-life politics and social issues. He said, "Hey, you guys sound like my daughter!" See, Dad, I'm not that crazy!

True, most pro-lifers are not as actively vocal about their beliefs as those of us who are full-time or part-time activists. You don't need to flood your Facebook page or Twitter feed with pro-life slogans and current events to make a difference. You don't need to attend every rally and picket every courthouse to be pro-life. But why is it that it is still taboo to speak about openly and civilly about politics, especially in my beloved state of New Jersey?

Is New Jersey doomed to resort to talking about the last season of "Jersey Shore" or the latest antics by the "Real Housewives of New Jersey?" Are "Jerseylicious" and "Made in Jersey" all we have to offer this country? My beautiful home state, filled with farms and historical sites, the "Garden State," is nothing more than a place to party? I say "NO!"

Even in good old Virginia, though, I saw support of liberal politicians who advocate for abortion. Many corners of this world are overcome by a culture of selfishness, secularism, and death. I challenge you to be a light for the pro-life community, no matter how dark your surroundings.

Friends, what will we do to spread the pro-life message in our local communities, whether we live in the Bible Belt or the most liberals cities or a country where it seems all hope is lost? Wherever you live, leave a comment explaining the culture around you and how you plan to overcome it with the pro-life message!




Note: This blog entry does not necessarily reflect the views of all pro-life and American women. The opinions in this entry belong solely to the Women Against Abortion administrator, Amber.

No comments:

Post a Comment